Despite a 52-26 loss to SEC opponent Auburn, the Arkansas State Red Wolves showed promise as new offensive coordinator Hugh Freeze's game plan delivered 84 plays and 366 yards during its first outing.
Quarterback Ryan Aplin completed 28-of-42 passes for 278 yards and a touchdown, while wide receiver Dwayne Frampton caught eight passes for 74 yards and one touchdown to lead the Red Wolves.
The Red Wolves first score came at the 5:33 mark in the first quarter when Aplin hit Frampton from 10 yards out. Brian Davis' PAT was blocked to give the Red Wolves an early 6-0 lead.
Article Continues Below
Auburn would answer very quickly with two quick scores, the first at the 3:33 mark in the first quarter when Kodi Burns scored from three yard out, then again with 1:06 mark when Cameron Newton passed to Mario Fannin for a 36 yard touchdown pass.
Both teams would score multiple times in the second quarter, with the Tigers striking three times, while the Red Wolves would strike twice.
Newton would have two rushing touchdowns for the Tigers, as well as a 48 yard pass to Quindarius Carr, while Jermaine Robertson would score from 13 yards out for the Red Wolves. ASU kicker Brian Davis would hit the first of two field goals from 26 yards out.
The Tigers led 35-16 at the break, but ASU would capitalize on several turnovers early in the third quarter to get within 12 points of the Tigers, before Gus Malzahn's offense would open it up on a tired Red Wolves defense.
Auburn true freshman running back Michael Dyer had a nice debut, running the ball 14 times for 95 yards and a touchdown, while Quindarius Carr caught two passes for 87 yards and a touchdown for the Tigers. Newton ran for 171 yards and two touchdowns and passed for 186 yards and three more scores for the Tigers as well.
Phillip Butterfield would see action for the Red Wolves as well, going 5 for 7 passing with 45 yards. Allen Muse would catch four passes for 80 yards, while Taylor Stockemer caught six passes for 58 yards.
Arkansas State travels to face Louisiana-Lafayette September 11, 2010. Kickoff is slated for 3:30PM
**The Following Is Courtesy Arkansas State SID Department**
ARKANSAS STATE POSTGAME NOTES
ASU at Auburn
September 4, 2010 - Jordan Hare Stadium
* ASU's Team Captains for game 1 were senior's Sifa Etu, Anthony Robinson, Adam Gaston and Bryan Hall.
* Five players started their first career game at ASU, including Dorvus Woods (DL), Justin Robertson (DE), Walter Moody (CB), Darron Edwards (CB) and Tausean Holmes (DB) on defense and Anthony Robinson (WR) on offense.
* 21 players competed in their first career game at A-State, including three true freshmen, eight redshirt freshmen, two sophomore, six junior-college transfers (all juniors) and two juniors.
* The crowd of 83,441 was the eighth largest to ever watch an Arkansas State football game.
* ASU's 26 points scored are its most against a top-25 opponent under head coach Steve Roberts, nine points under the 35 scored against No. 25 Memphis in 2004.
* Ryan Aplin threw a 61-yard pass to Allen Muse in the first quarter that was the second longest completion of his career and the longest reception of Muse's career.
* Ryan Aplin threw his fourth career touchdown pass. He also recorded 28 completions on 42 attempts for a career-high 278 yards, all career highs.
* Aplin's 28 completions tie for third most in school history for a single game (with Jeremie Watkins vs East Carolina in 1996).
* Six ASU wide receivers recorded a career-best reception total.
* WR Allen Muse finished the game with a career-high 80 receiving yards on four receptions, which is also a career high.
* WR Taylor Stockemer caught a career-best six passes for 58 yards.
* WR Lucious Henderson caught four passes for 22 yards, both career highs.
* WR Anthony Robinson caught a career-high three passes for 24 yards.
* WR Carlos McCants (2 for 20 yards) and TE Andre Smith (2 for 19 yards) caught their first career passes at ASU.
* WR Dwayne Frampton recorded his first career touchdown reception at ASU, a 10-yard catch to give A-State a 6-0 lead in the first quarter. Frampton finished the first quarter alone with three receptions for 29 yards, and the game with eight receptions for 74 yards.
* Frampton's eight receptions tied the most by any ASU player for all of last season.
* Jermaine Robertson recorded a 13-yard touchdown run on his first carry, giving him two rushing TD's for his career. His other TD came against Mississippi Valley State in the 2009 season opener.
* Derek Lawson recorded his seventh career rushing touchdown.
* Dorvus Woods and Chaz Scales both finished the game with one tackle for loss. For Woods, he now has 10.5 TFL for his career and it was the first tackle behind the line of scrimmage for Scales.
* M.D. Jennings posted double-figure tackles (11) in a game for the fourth time of his career. He also recorded his second career forced fumble, fourth fumble recovery of his career and his third career sack.
* Tausean Holmes recorded his first career forced fumble and Nick Nelms recorded his first career fumble recovery.
* ASU had at least one player attempt his first career punt (Neely Sullivent and Dean Gericke), first career kickoff (Bobby Zalud) and first career extra point and field goal (Brian Davis). Tausean Holmes, Roderick Hall and Dwayne Frampton all returned their first career kicks and/or punts as well.
* Roderick Hall's first career kickoff return went for 40 yards, the longest of the game by an ASU player.
Scoring SummaryArkansas St.: Dwayne Frampton 10 yd pass from Ryan Aplin (blocked XP)Auburn: Kodi Burns 3 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)Auburn: Mario Fannin 36 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)Auburn: Cameron Newton 2 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)Arkansas St.: Jermaine Robertson 13 yd run (Brian Davis kick)Auburn: Quindarius Carr 48 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)Arkansas St.: Brian Davis 26 yd FGAuburn: Cameron Newton 71 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)Arkansas St.: Derek Lawson 8 yd run (Brian Davis kick)Auburn: Mario Fannin 38 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)Auburn: Wes Byrum 24 yd FGAuburn: Michael Dyer 2 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)Arkansas St.: Brian Davis 41 yd FGTeam Statistics AuburnArkansas St.TOTAL FIRST DOWNS2322TOTAL NET YARDS608366Total Plays6584Average Gain9.44.4NET YARDS RUSHING36743Rushes4935Average per rush7.51.2NET YARDS PASSING241323Completions-attempted11-1633-49Sacked00Yards Lost00TOTAL TURNOVERS20Interceptions00Fumbles Lost20OTHER Penalties75Penalty Yards6028Time of Possesion25:3734:23Punts48Punt Average39.2538.62Return Yards178154PassingAuburnCMPATTYDSTDINTYDS/ATT Cameron Newton (0)9141863013.3Barrett Trotter (0)11130013.0Neil Caudle (0)11420042.0Arkansas St.CMPATTYDSTDINTYDS/ATT Ryan Aplin (0)2842278106.6Phillip Butterfield (0)5745006.4RushingAuburnATTYDSTDAVG Cameron Newton (0)15171211.4Michael Dyer (0)149516.8Onterio McCalebb (0)97608.4Davis Hooper (0)51503.0Mario Fannin (0)31404.7Kodi Burns (0)2211.0Terrell Zachery (0)1-60-6.0Arkansas St.ATTYDSTDAVG Derek Lawson (0)164512.8Jermaine Robertson (0)72012.9Ryan Aplin (0)12-220-1.8ReceivingAuburnATTYDSTDAVG Mario Fannin (0)465216.3 Quindarius Carr (0)287143.5 Darvin Adams (0)258029.0 Derek Winter (0)113013.0 Michael Dyer (0)1909.0 Terrell Zachery (0)1909.0 Arkansas St.ATTYDSTDAVG Dwayne Frampton (0)87419.3 Taylor Stockemer (0)65809.7 Allen Muse (0)480020.0 Lucious Henderson (0)42205.5 Anthony Robinson (0)32408.0 Carlos McCants (0)220010.0 Andre Smith (0)21909.5 Derek Lawson (0)21708.5 Kedric Murry (0)2904.5